How Do I Get Marketplace Insurance?
If you don't have insurance coverage through your employer, getting insured through the Marketplace is a great way to find plans that protect you and your family. Here are six things you need to know to make sure you get the coverage you need.
1. You must enroll during the enrollment period.
The Marketplace isn't open for people to jump on and off coverage any time they want. Open enrollment starts November 1 and ends December 15. Outside of the enrollment period, you may only enroll in an insurance plan if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period by experiencing a qualified life event. See what qualifies as a qualified life event.
2. You must be eligible to use the Marketplace.
To enroll in Marketplace coverage, you must live in the United States, be a U.S. citizen or national, and not be incarcerated. Learn more.
3. You may qualify for tax credits.
Your income determines whether or not you qualify for a plan with tax credits or for a Medicaid/Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Healthcare.gov offers an income calculator to help you determine which plans may work best for you.
4. The plan you pick must cover certain things.
All plans on the Marketplace cover essential health benefits, pre-existing conditions, and preventive services. You can rest assured knowing that these benefits are covered, regardless of which company you choose to carry your plan.
5. You can find out plan costs before you buy.
On healthcare.gov, you can preview plans and see estimated prices based on your income, where you live, and your family makeup.
6. You can apply four different ways.
You have four options to apply for health coverage, so pick the one that works best for you and your family.
- Apply online. Get started by visiting this page on healthcare.gov and select your state.
- Apply by phone. You can call 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) to apply for a Marketplace plan and enroll over the phone.
- Apply in person. Visit a licensed agent in your community to get more information, apply, and enroll with this trained professional there to answer your questions and guide you through the process.
- Apply by mail. Complete your application and mail it to Health Insurance Marketplace, Attn: Coverage Processing, 465 Industrial Boulevard, London, KY 40750-0001. DO NOT SEND original documents in the mail or information about changes to your address, income, or household size, unless the Marketplace has asked for it.
There you have it. Now you know how you can get covered through the Marketplace. Remember, you must enroll by December 15 for coverage starting January 1.
While EMI Health does not offer medical plans through the Marketplace, we do offer Marketplace dental plans.
Contact EMI Health today if you want to learn more about our Federal Marketplace dental insurance.
As always, EMI Health offers Federal Marketplace dental insurance suited to your needs. These plans are not only affordable, but they also cover the basic but important care. In addition to Federal Marketplace plans, we also provide senior dental plans, individual and family dental and vision plans, and a wide variety of group health plans. Whatever your need may be regarding insurance, we've got you covered. Contact us today by calling 1-800-662-5851 or visiting www.emihealth.com.